Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving Preparations

"Thanksgiving is a typically American holiday . . . its essential, secular meaning is a celebration of successful production. It is a producers' holiday. The lavish meal is a symbol of the fact that abundant consumption is the result and reward of production."
Ayn Rand (1905-1982)


I love Thanksgiving, it's really my favorite holiday, probably because it's just so food-centric. The groceries were bought yesterday, the table is set, tonight the table will be set, the turkey will start brining, the homemade cranberry sauce will be melding, a few pie crusts will be rolled out and frozen (my favorite do ahead trick) and bourbon maple ice cream will be setting in the deep freeze. I've only hosted a handful of Thanksgivings myself, but have always been an active participant wherever I've been. I'm looking forward to having it at home this year with just a few family and friends at the table.
To avoid the version of a Rockwell Thanksgiving pictured above in favor of the more common image GET STARTED TODAY! Doing things in advance of the big day is key to making it a laid back day culminating in a wonderful meal even the host/hostess can be truly thankful for.

No comments: