Monday, December 15, 2008

Hungry at the Holidays

"When a man's stomach is full it makes no difference whether he is rich or poor."
Euripides (BC 480-BC 406)


Picture of an amazing can sculputre from Canstruction Calgary

Like many I started with can drives as a child in elementary school competing against other classrooms to gather up the most food for the less fortunate (and to earn a pizza party, we were only 6). The habit stuck and over the years I have donated both cans and my time to help stock shelves and deliver food, and have always found it to be a rewarding experience.

As you've probably heard in the news media that donations are falling at the same time as needs are increasing. As many of us prepare for one feast after another this holiday season if we can just buy a few extra non-parishable food items and drop them off at a foodbank or at one of the many drop-off points that are set up this time of year we can help eliminate hunger.

To find a foodbank near you visit: Feeding America, formerly America's Second Harvest.

2 comments:

Emily said...

Great post. And overall, I've enjoyed having a first look at your blog! Thanks for commenting, so that I could find you :)

Pigtown*Design said...

I don't think that it's ever been as important to give as it is this year, and as a fundraiser, I can tell you that we're way below projections this year.