Friday, January 2, 2009

Chicken Livers, Love 'em or Hate 'em?

A picture of fried chicken livers.


Before going out to our New Year's Eve party we had dinner at Bistro VG. Dinner was, as it always is wonderful, even if service inevitably suffered a bit by the crush of people packed into the modest sized dining rooms.

For appetizers, along with our complimentary bubbly (proffered due to a 15 minute delay from our reserved seating time) we ordered calamari - good but not memorable, crab croquettes - the vanilla and saffron coleslaw was unique, and sauteed chicken livers (not pictured above, the lighting in the restaurant made photos completely impossible) with plum jelly and grilled bread.

My wife and the other women in attendance devoured the crab croquettes and nibbled at the calamari while the other gentleman and I devoured the chicken livers after making less than sincere offers to share, as we knew the ladies were not any more interested in eating the chicken livers than we were to share them.

I simply loved them. They had a perfect crust on the outside an a delightfully pate-like texture on the inside. My wife even suggested that I made a low moaning sound while eating the last one with a bit of bread and jelly (a sign that I truly enjoy what I'm eating).

I have another confession to make, this was the third time in two weeks that I'd ordered chicken livers out at a restaurant. I think I may be developing a problem.

What do you think? Do you love or loathe chicken livers, or even scarier for some the gizzards or hearts?

Bistro VG on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Pigtown*Design said...

they're the only kind of livers i like. i remember my mother cooking them with a piece of bacon wrapped around them.

Easy and Elegant Life said...

We made chicken liver paté for one of our New Year's Eve appetizers. It was untouched at the end of the evening. Made a fine breakfast for me, though.

Things That Inspire said...

I must admit, I am in the "loathe them" camp. My mother would make chicken livers and onions for herself every so often (I attributed it to the fact that she was British), and I would have to leave the house when she was making them, the smell disgusted me so much.

I must say, though, that your description made them seem almost palatable!