Friday, January 16, 2009

In Memoriam - Andrew Wyeth

Andrew Wyeth's "Otherworld" (2002)
Artist Andrew Wyeth, one of America's greatest painters died early today, Friday, January 16th at his home in the Philadelphia suburb of Chadds Ford, he was 91.
This is a great loss for the art world as Wyeth has continued to produce beautiful, thoughtful, and often somber works for more than seven decades.
I was fortunate to see a touring retrospective of his work in 2006 when it came to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta. The painting above was my favorite in the exhibition filled with great paintings, though it was starkly atypical as the setting was not the rural landscape of the Brandywine Valley and Maine, Wyeth's two preferred settings for his art and his life.

2 comments:

hello gorgeous said...

I saw your comment over at Pigtown Design and I wanted to see your favorite Wyeth.

I've never seen it before.

Beautiful choice.

Pigtown*Design said...

I don't know this one, either. But I loved your comment on my choice - dog and pillows! hahaha!

Hope to get to the PO tomorrow.